Are you bewildered by encumbering impacts of a car accident on your life? Aren’t you exhausted of going through various treatments for musculoskeletal pain?
It is estimated that by the year 2020, injuries of road traffic accidents would count for the third of most common disabilities world wide.
Car accidents are one of the main causes of serious injuries inflicted on your body. Injuries to the spine, specially the neck, are the most common in these accidents. They may occur in more mild forms such as whiplash, to more serious cases. Some of these injuries may look minor at the beginning but if left untreated by an auto accident injury doctor, could make you suffer from chronic pain for the rest of your life. In a survey carried out in Sweden, 17 years after the first examination, 55% of the cases had residual disorders mainly due to the original accident.
What is “Whiplash”?
When in some car accidents, sports or intentional assaults, your neck and the upper back are exposed to sudden, extreme extension and flexion, due to its whip-like motion is called “whiplash“. The sudden shock causes damage to the adjacent structures like vertebrae, nerves, discs, muscles, and ligaments of your neck and spine. Don’t make any mistake! Although whiplash involves soft tissues, but it is not a minor problem. Medical evidence suggests that soft tissue injuries can be serious and have long-term effects if left untreated. This is why it’s important to be checked by an auto accident injury doctor if you have been involved in any type of car accident or you have one of the following symptoms: stiffness and pain in the neck, reduced range of motion, headache, dizziness, blurred vision, shoulder, arm, or back pain.
If not treated promptly, the vast majority of the injured will continue to suffer from some level of disability or pain for many years after, if not for the rest of their lives.
The most effective treatment for whiplash injuries is a combination of the following procedures:
- Physical therapy/osteopathic manipulative treatment
- Soft Tissue Rehabilitation: Stimulate the soft tissues to heal correctly that include massage therapy, transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS), trigger point therapy, stretching and specific strength and range of motion exercises and acupuncture.
- Home Care: It is important that your plan of care extend into the hours and days between your clinic visits according to your doctor recommendations.
- Medication Treatment: Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAIDS) and muscle relaxants are the first line of medication for acute whiplash injuries.
- Minimally-Invasive Procedures: performed by your pain management physician to relieve persistent neck pain after whiplash injuries.
There is no need to tolerate the agonizing pain!
Whiplash is a unique condition that requires the expertise and skills of an auto accident injury doctor trained to treat these types of injuries. Dr. Kevin Li is confident of his skill in developing an all-inclusive, yet individualized treatment plan that not only will relieve your pain, but also promote your daily activities, lifestyle and needed flexibility. Contact his office today at (626) 538-8950 to make an appointment. It’s about time to enjoy more of your life!